Why attend CPD?
CPD – Continuing Professional Development.
This is distinct from your professional training – which was a formal course where you learnt how to perform Reflexology; how to become a Reflexologist.
Professional Development provides you with information and increases your capability and competency from basic know-how to a more advanced complex understanding. Being a Reflexologist is not just about knowing with intelligence which reflexes to work.
Attending CPD will
- Ensure that you maintain and enhance the knowledge and skills that you need to provide a professional service to your clients
- Ensure that you and your knowledge stay relevant and up to date. In the field of Complementary Medicine changes occur very quickly. It is important to keep abreast of new ideas and changes in this industry.
- Assist you in advancing your career, learning new techniques – yes even within the field of Reflexology.
- Assist you in being able to support clients with specific complex conditions such as Cancer, Sub Fertility, during Pregnancy etc.
- Remind you that every client that visits you is looking for understanding, support, and positive advice from you the Professional. You need to be able to meet the expectations of your client.
- Give you support as a therapist long after you have left your school or college of learning.
- Help you stay interested and interesting. Experience is a great teacher but it also can prevent consideration of new ideas. Focused CPD opens new possibilities, new knowledge and new skill areas.
- Increase your confidence as a therapist.
So the importance of attending Continuing Professional Development should not be underestimated and is necessary throughout your career.
Within the field of Reflexology, Indian Head Massage and all regulated therapies it is mandated by the Professional Organisation to which you are a member. Records of CPD must be kept in accordance with the specifications adopted by the Organisation. As a Professional it is your responsibility to keep your skills and knowledge up to date.